I was excited to install SQL Server 2005 Beta 2 on my Win2k3 Server.
The 2.0 Framework, SNAC, and Support files appear to go on fine. Our install failed at the point where the Setup Consistency Checker (SSC) was supposed to run.
Microsoft SQL Server 2005 Beta 2 Setup
The SQL Server System Configuration Checker cannot be executed due to WMI configuration on the machine <machineName> Error:2147749907 (0x80041013).
I also saw this in a log file;
Windows Management Instrumentation (WMI) is not functioning properly. Further checks cannot be performed. Action: Please make sure Windows Management Instrumentation (WMI) is functioning properly. The SQL Server System Configuration Checker cannot be executed due to WMI configuration on the machine <yourMachinename> Error:2147749890 (0x80041002).
First, to get out on the table the environement:
Server: Win2003 server Enterprise
Yukon: SQL Server 2005 Beta 2
Other installed programs: Only SQL 2000 at the SP3a level
To fix this ‘kind’ of error, there are some classic files to look for, and rename them. Of course these only exist if a Yukon install had been performed or even tried. And in my case Yukon had never been attempted, but nevertheless I checked to make sure these files were not present, and they were not.
Next, there are a bunch of things that can get messed up on a server’s OS that could later cause WMI problems, here are some of the usual suspects that you can run to fix this type of problem, but in my case they did not help.
secedit /configure /cfg %windir%\repair\secsetup.inf /db secsetup.sdb /verbose
At this point I was desperate, so I actually uninstalled and reinstalled the Windows Server 2003 SP1 and reinstalled it, but alas, to no avail. Remember, for Itanium boxes, you must have SP1 on if you want to install SQL 2005. But the reinstall did not help. Bummer.
But then Niko from the SQL Server Setup Team came to the rescue and suggested I try this:
The cause of this error is a corrupt install of WMI, caused by upgrading Windows Server 2003 to SP1 build 1277. To fix this issue, copy the following into notepad and save it with either a .cmd or .bat extension. Then run the script to re-install WMI:
Regsvr32 /s wbemupgd.dll
Regsvr32 /s wbemsvc.dll
And lo and behold, my Yukon (SQL Server 2005) went on smooth as glass. Turns out some WMI folks over in Microsoft passed that little tid-bit onto him.
I found out that this is an active bug in Windows Server 2003 for RTM to SP1 upgrades where it screws up WMI, so as a public service, I want to pass this on.
I’m sure MS will get this straightened out before they go golden with SP1.
Thankx to www.MSNSearch.com